Do you wonder how you can eliminate distractions and focus more while in the office? We have noted six tips below which make for an easy fix.
Have you ever left the office exhausted, but look back and realize you didn’t accomplish anything near what you wanted to? It’s easy for days to slip through your fingers simply because you’re distracted or get caught up doing other things that may not be as beneficial.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average American between the ages 25-54 spends over 8 hours a day working. For many, a large portion of these hours are spent at a desk staring at a computer. You do of course factor meetings, video calls and checking Facebook into that time, but there’s no doubting that the office grind can be a tough environment to spend 90,000 hours of your life.
Increase your work productivity with these six tips:
- Don’t get stuck in your email inbox. We know you can’t just disregard your email, but there are ways to make sure you’re not wasting hours each day checking your inbox. Set certain times of the day to check email. Why not try “no emails before 10”? If you’re working on a task and you keep leaving that task to check an email, you’re only losing productivity with the task at hand. That Amazon coupon will stay in your inbox, don’t worry.
- Social media can wait. We’re not referring to sending a Tweet from your company’s Twitter account, but rather when you get caught up looking at your neighbor’s son’s friend’s new baby. Although there’s nothing wrong with taking a quick break to see what’s going on around Facebook, the real distraction comes from spending hours and hours on social networks. If you can’t wait until 5pm to check that notification, take a peek at lunch!
- Plan for breaks. This doesn’t refer to social media breaks, but it is in fact important to take breaks throughout the day. It isn’t healthy to be stuck in front of a screen for eight straight hours. Instead, take short breaks every hour to rejuvenate your mind and body. Take a quick stroll outside or grab a healthy snack. Here at the Resell.biz office we often take short breaks to play quick games of ping pong. This gives us something to look forward to in the afternoon, and temporarily releases us from any stressful tasks we have on our hands.
- Arrive early to work. Sometimes the only way to avoid some of your pestering co-workers is to arrive earlier than everyone else. Get an early start, grab a cup of coffee, and dive right in to your work. By the time others get to the office you’ve already accomplished several tasks that may have been interrupted if put off until later. It’s no secret that most successful people are early risers. Remember: mind over mattress.
- Find time to exercise. According to the Mayo Clinic, you need at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day. This number should increase if eight hours a day are spent sitting down at a desk. By simply adding exercise to your day, you’ll be amazed at the increase of energy you’ll have. If you’re too busy to exercise, you may have to wake up an hour earlier, hit the gym during your lunch break or get off the bus a few stops earlier.
- Eliminate distractions when you “enter the zone”. There are times when you really have to crack down and accomplish the task at hand. One way to signal that you’re in the zone is by putting headphones in and finding soothing music that will help you concentrate. Find a quiet space and let others know – in the kindest way possible – that you need to dial in. By eliminating any possibility of a distraction, you can finally finish that project.
How do you manage to stay on task at work? Let us know in the comments below or by sending us a Tweet @Resellbiz!